TRANSFORMED: A Navy SEAL’s Unlikely Journey to Defying All Odds with Remi Adeleke
Today we have a story unlike anything you’ve ever heard before. Remi Adeleke is a former Navy SEAL, actor, entrepreneur, author, husband and dad. These are huge accomplishments for any man, but once you learn about Remi’s background, you will be astounded.
Beginning life as a son in a wealthy, royal Nigerian family and almost ending as a drug dealer in The Bronx, Remi Adeleke’s defining moment was his father’s death when he was five years old. Raised by his single mom, Remi was cast into poverty and turned to crime to fill the void of male leadership.
Remi talks about how growing up without a father impacted his journey and how he is is living proof that even when things seem hopeless, it’s possible to transform and live a life beyond imagining.
“Every boy is instinctively looking for father—to affirm us, to guide us, to teach us.” Remi Adeleke
Remi was born into riches and wealth. His dad was the firstborn son of a Yoruba chief who had nine wives. His father went on to study in London and became a well-known engineer and entrepreneur in Nigeria. His biggest project was one of the first manmade islands in the world, now known as Banana Island. In 1987, the corrupt Nigerian government stripped his father of the island, robbing him of his largest investment. Shortly after that, his father died. Remi was so young that he didn’t comprehend his father’s death or the impact it would make in his life.
Remi’s American mother brought him and his brother to the US to settle in The Bronx, NY. As they struggled to get by, Remi finally felt the void left by his father’s death. The icons of the hip-hop culture and street lifestyle became Remi’s father figures, and he worked his way from petty stealing to running high level scams that could’ve landed him in federal prison.
After a drug-related death threat, Remi realized he wasn’t going anywhere and decided to act on a long-buried childhood dream of becoming a hero. He went directly to a recruiter’s office where a series of fortunate events led him to his chance of becoming a Navy SEAL.
After the birth of his sons, Remi chose to leave his military career. He knew how deeply his father’s death affected him, and he didn’t want to do that to his family. From there, he pursued a career in speaking and acting.
Remi holds a BS in organizational leadership and a MS in strategic leadership, both from the University of Charleston West Virginia. He now resides in Southern California with his wife, Jessica, and his sons. He wrote his book, Transformed, to show disadvantaged kids and adults that they are capable of defying all odds.
Transformed: A Navy SEAL’s Unlikely Journey from the Throne of Africa, to the Streets of the Bronx, to Defying All Odds
What are the odds? Statistics tell us that African American males who grow up in a single-parent household are nine times more likely to drop out of high school and twenty times more likely to end up in prison than any other demographic. But what would it take for one young man not only to rise above those statistics but also become a Navy SEAL, actor, entrepreneur, writer, and successful husband and father?
What You’ll Learn
- How Remi associated everything with the absence of his father
- How he attributed his survival in the crime life to his dad
- The positive African American role models in movies who planted the seed in Remi’s mind that he could become a hero too
- The moment of clarity that brought him to the Navy SEALs
- His multiple failures during BUDs training
- The secret to perseverance: having a deep-rooted emotional reason why he is doing what he is doing
- How superficial reasons turn adversity into a bad idea, giving you excuses to start looking for a plan B
- The inspiration and purpose of his book, Transformed
- The unique challenges of writing a book
- What Remi feels is most important about his role as a father
- Remi’s motivation to be a good role model
- How he wants his kids to honor women and how he’s had to set the example
- Why love is not just a word, it’s an action.
- How he knows the massive potential of his kids
- How much farther he may have come with a father’s guidance
- Teaching kids to hone their good qualities and exorcise the bad qualities
- How his military intelligence experience translates to his life
- Communication tips with his wife
- His daily physical, mental, and spiritual self-care routine
- His physical limitations due to injuries and how he gets past them
- Advice for men who always put themselves last
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week. The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
Remi Adeleke’s Links
Fill out an application for The Dad Edge Alliance
==>NEW!!<== Grab a copy of The Dad’s Edge AUDIOBOOK on iTunes or Audible
GRAB A COPY OF THE DAD’S EDGE HERE
Join our Dad Edge Group on Facebook Request Entry Here
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become one of the 350 men of The Dad Edge Alliance
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!