At the start of the year, we are always thinking about goals like losing extra weight, eating healthier, and managing our finances more efficiently, but what about wildly important goals? Have you ever set a goal so challenging that it takes you beyond your limits and changes you forever?
Today’s guest is Mark Divine. He is a former Navy SEAL commander, founder of SEALfit, and author of The Unbeatable Mind. His book was the inspiration for The Dad Edge and he was the first big guest on the show. Mark Divine just completed a burpee challenge to raise money and awareness for veteran suicides, which occur at the horrifying rate of every 22 seconds. This wasn’t a one-time event, but a year-long commitment of doing 300 burpees every single day.
Mark talks about how he pulls through and even thrives on these kinds of challenges. It’s not all grit. He uses breathing techniques, yoga, meditation, and intuition. You will be awed by the insights he shares in this interview. Save this episode to stay connected to your goals so that you can enjoy the fruits of your labor at the end of this year.
[bctt tweet=”‘Life is suffering. When we embrace the pain and use it for personal growth, that’s when we start to experience the magic.’—Mark Divine @UnbeatableLife #personalgrowth #adversity #mindset ” username=”gooddadprojct”]
[bctt tweet=”‘You’re not your story, you’re living your story, but you are not your story.’—Mark Divine @UnbeatableLife #yoga #mindfulness #meditation” username=”gooddadprojct”]
What You’ll Learn
- Why he did the burpee challenge
- How he and his team broke the burpee world record
- The mantras he used to get him through 300 burpees every morning
- How he continued the burpee challenge after he broke his foot
- How the body and mind adapts to a new extreme normal if you have an audacious enough reason
- How Mark practices intermittent fasting
- How to chunk down huge goals into smaller SMART goals
- How to turn goals into an integrative practice that combines mind and spirit
- The Secrets to Achieving Wildly Important Goals
- Be flexible – No plan survives contact with reality. You got to find a way to a make a way around obstacles.
- Identify microgoals – no one can take away foundational successes
- Be in the present – focus on the experience of life today, not your future goal
- Organize your life so you can’t fail – eliminate friction points
- Make it a non-negotiable goal or don’t set it – we have so many goals. Lump goals into one goal. Don’t hope, pretend, or wish. If you just put it on a list, you won’t get to it.
- Go after your goals, not someone else’s – clarify who you are and why you do what you do. Once you define those things you realize all the efforts you’ve wasted time on.
- Why you must properly asses your starting point
- How comparing yourself to others is a huge mistake
- The danger of becoming attached to the outcome
- Why what we achieve isn’t that important
- How SEALs fail their way forward to eventual success
- What Mark Divine would say if he could have a conversation with his 21-year-old self
- Embracing the suck
- The yoga inquiry technique to discover who you are
- How to connect to your “witness”
- How killing as a SEAL fits into his perspective now
- Slow down, simplify your lives, get comfortable in silence
- Why learning how to be whole is the most important leadership skill
- Why meditation apps are not real meditation
- The benefits of box breathing
- Why people fail at mindfulness meditation
- How SEALs develop intuitive senses
- Mark Divine’s new book Uncommon
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week. The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
Mark Divine’s Links
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become a member of The Dad Edge Alliance
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!